- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 04 May 2022
Guidance is advice intended to help resolve a problem or difficulty, or information about how to do something. Typically it is given or produced by a person or organisation in authority.
In relation to the designing of buildings the word guidance is frequently used to describe documents that range from purely advisory to those that give advice on meeting legislation that is obligatory.
For example the UK Building Regulations apply across England and Wales are set out in the Building Act 1984 while those that apply across Scotland are set out in the Building (Scotland) Act 2003. These are legal obligations in the construction of buildings. The Approved Documents to the building regulations are a set of guidance documents setting out ways in which the regulations might be (but do not have to be) satisfied.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings
- Approved documents.
- Approved inspector.
- Building codes.
- Building control body.
- Building regulations appeal.
- Building Regulations Advisory Committee (BRAC).
- Building regulations completion certificate.
- Building regulations inspection.
- Building warrant (Scotland).
- Do the building regulations apply to existing buildings?
- Failure to comply with the building regulations.
- Independent review of the building regulations and fire safety.
- National Calculation Method.
- Northern Ireland building regulations.
- Simplified Building Energy Model.
- Scottish building standards.
- Standard Assessment Procedure.
- Statutory approvals.
- Statutory authorities.
- The Building Act.
- The difference between planning permission building regulations approval.
- Welsh building regulations.
- What approvals are needed before construction begins.
Featured articles and news
What to do with troublesome statues?
A tricky political issue.
Designing Buildings content from and for its users
Discover more on how simple and quick it is to publish an article.
Recent users articles; Timber and retrofit
Which products, for what reasons.
Recent users articles; Digitally Built Britain
ISO 19650, BIM and data management.
Recent users articles; Interim valuations and payments
Applications, notices ad points to remember.
Recent users articles; What is H-Scaffolding?
Elements, features and areas of use.
Recent users articles; what are NZEBs ?
How do they contribute to Sustainable Development.
The most viewed articles in 2022 on Designing Buildings
Written in the past 6 months, one year and beyond.
Second stairs for new tower blocks
Government launches a 12-week consultation
Happy Festive Holidays to all our users from here at DB
On the first day of Christmas DB for the Industry...
The psychological power of the built environment.
IHBC signpost update from Lords Committee on climate
Government must support behaviour change to meet targets.
Reflecting on 2022 into 2023 with the APM WiPM SIG
Women in Project Management conference 2022.
Types, colours and processing of hydrogen on DB
Grey, green, purple, blue, yellow, turquoise, brown and black.
The Kyoto Protocol a brief reminder on DB
Adopted in 1997, ratified in 2005..
Europe moves to phase out electrical SF6 gas
Sulphur hexafluoride the world’s most potent GHG.
Biomass boiler market on the rise in Europe
Proving to be a driver for decarbonisation targets.